What do you pack when you’re going to be gone for two weeks, two different countries, and you hate “checking” a bag? So glad you asked. This is one of my favorite things to talk about! I’ve never loved checking and Brad and I have been doing carryon since we both can remember. One time we were gone for 15 days, 3 countries, 2 different weather systems and 9 flights. We still carried on! And we didn’t take space up for others, here are some tips for you to try this out before the holiday travels start.
- Get a good suitcase! I use AWAY international carry on and it’s incredible how many clothes I can pack in there.
- Pack clothes you can mix and match! Think back to those magazine moments where they took 12 items and showed you 28 ways to wear them.
- Wear the bulkier shoes on the plane.
- Wear the bulkier jacket on the plane (you can put it up above).
- Be Honest with what you will wear. I know you think you’ll wear heels to that event. But, you probably won’t wear heels in Italy with cobblestone walkways.
- Challenge yourself to actually wear everything you pack. And make notes of what you don’t for next time.
- Pack more underwear but fewer outfits. In case you can’t find a laundry option at least your undies are clean. And it’s likely you can get away wearing those jeans or sweaters again.
- More lipsticks less makeup. You can change your look with a new lipstick shade and it takes up less space than several blushes, shadows etc. Bring one look and several shades of lipstick. Nars has a set of lipsticks that no matter what your skin tone they all look good. It’s pretty epic. And makes it easy to freshen up on the road.
What are your favorite packing tips? I’d love to hear them in the comments below. I love trying out more efficient ways of packing.
PS wait until you see how we pack for 2 weeks on the road in the winter for our pop up tour. Same tips above and add more coat. It’s more fun to get something along the way that lug stuff around you don’t wear.
We once went to Europe for 5 weeks with carry on only. It was springtime. A big comfy casmier neutral colored (mine was black) sweater went over thin tops. These tops underwater and socks I hand washed in room. They dried out quickly. Never missed the big choice of what to wear.
OMG I love this! My dream packing on a dream trip! Thank you for sharing xx
Great ideas Lesley!!…
I can’t wait to hear how they help you on your next trip
Hi Lesley! Great tips! What size Away suitcase do you use? Thanks
I use the Away international carryon..its smaller than a domestic carryon. They have the best suitcases! xx~LL