I had one hour to go from the front of the terminal connections line to my flight. No sweat, surely I am going to make it right? Never, have I ever been so grateful that I do Pilates regularly than the time I had to run over a mile at Heathrow airport. Yep, over a mile, in less than 15 min with security checks, escalators a suitcase and a winter coat. And, I am absolutely crediting my Pilates practice for helping me do all of it. See Pilates isn’t just a workout, it’s a regimen that you don’t do in place of things you love like golf, running, swimming or yoga. You do Pilates because you love those things. So, instead of answering what’s the difference between Pilates and Yoga or Pilates and HIIT. Today, let’s focus on how Pilates helps you do everything you love better.
- It’s a Full body workout every single session. You don’t need to worry about legs today or back tomorrow. Every exercise requires that you use your whole body all of the time.
- It increases endurance! Because you do one exercise and you flow right into the next exercise you don’t have breaks which means your body is used to moving for the entire session. Bring on a long game of golf, a beautiful long run or a 90 min yoga class! Your body is trained to continue to move for an entire Pilates session!
- Quality over quantity. Because you focus on doing the best you can for the least amount of reps you’re training your body do to the best it can in the least amount of time.
- You connect to your center aka powerhouse first and then move! I didn’t even have to think about how I would hold my suitcase and run up an escalator… My center contracted and my arm connected to my back. Without me having to think about it.
- Mindfulness doesn’t just happen overnight. But, in Pilates every single session you’re thinking about what’s moving where. It’s a moving meditation that allows you to not have to think so hard when you need your body to act fast the most! Want to race after your dog? No problem!
- It’s a practice. You don’t have to worry about doing it for two weeks and then letting it go. You add Pilates into your schedule and let it flow week after week, year after year. It meets you where you are and continues to challenge you. Not by adding weight but often by taking it away! So, you can do Pilates wherever you are!
Instead of thinking you’ll have to give up something to do Pilates think about how much you’ll gain by doing Pilates. And, know that Pilates is compounding. Each week you change, you get stronger, more connected and you understand the method better. So, if this week is tough don’t worry, you’re upleveling. And be ready to surprise yourself! Need to run across an airport? Swim in the ocean, shop til you drop? Don’t worry! Pilates has got your back. It got me to my flight before the doors closed and with just some sweat dripping down my back.