Alright, here we go, the questions I get asked the most after people find out I am a Pilates Instructor. And, chances are you’ve had these questions too! If you don’t see your question below then please post it in the comments below.
1) IS PILATES LIKE YOGA? No, not really. As a lover of Yoga I think Pilates is as similar to Yoga as Pilates is to any fitness modality. I believe that it is not Pilates vs ____. It is Pilates and ____. Pilates helps you do everything you love (and don’t love) better.
2) PILATES IS ALL ABOUT ABS, RIGHT? Not at all! You center in Pilates often called your Powerhouse is more than just your abs. It includes your glutes, hamstrings, adductors, abductors, back muscles and the muscles around your shoulder girdle too! Basically, Pilates is about the WHOLE BODY!
3) IS PILATES FOR WOMEN ONLY? Pilates is for EVERY BODY! Athletes are loving how Pilates helps them prevent injury and work they underused muscles. Men should absolutely get down with Pilates. It was in fact invented by a man for men!
4) PILATES, THAT’S FOR DANCERS, RIGHT? Nope, see above. It’s for the whole body and everyone has a body.
5) CAN I GET THE BENEFITS OF PILATES WITHOUT GOING TO A STUDIO? Yes, just like those who do go to a studio you need to be consistent. Do you Mat Pilates work 4-5x a week! And, in a month you’ll really feel the benefits and see them. You can get started with my intro to Pilates classes and then work your way into my all levels classes.
6) WHEN WILL I SEE THE BENEFITS OF DOING PILATES? People like to quote Jospeh Pilates here, “In 10 sessions you’ll feel different, 20 sessions you’ll look different and 30 sessions you’ll have a whole new body.” What they fail to say is that you need to do Pilates 4-5x a week and that Joseph Pilates guaranteed your money back. So, where ever you find yourself doing Pilates make sure you are doing your home Pilates practice in addition to your in studio sessions or classes.
7) CAN I LOSE WEIGHT DOING PILATES? I definitely did in the beginning. But, that’s because like any workout regimen it helps speed up your metabolism. If you want to lose more than a couple pounds though you need to work with a nutritionist and find a way of eating that you can sustain for the long haul. There are no quick fixes to weight loss. Well there are but they require going under the knife. But the benefits of Pilates are compounding.
8) WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PILATES? SOOO many but here are my favorite:
- Better Posture which equates to looking leaner, having better digestion, looking and feeling confident.
- Balancing your asymmetries
- Better Coordination
- Less stress, it’s literally a movement meditation
- and more!
9) DO I NEED TO BE FLEXIBLE, IN SHAPE, STRONG, INSERT WHAT YOU THINK YOU NEED TO BE, TO DO PILATES? Nope, come as you are. Pilates will meet you where you are. And as you grow it will challenge you. It’s never the same because you are never the same.
10) WHAT IS PILATES? Pilates is a strength based workout that will work your entire body out in one session. It tightens what’s loose and loosens what’s tight. It helps you do everything you love better. It’s a practice that you can take with you where ever you go!
Don’t see your question? Ask it below!