"Arm Springs" with Weights on the Mat
** Private online Pilates sessions available with Lesley Logan on request, click here **
Standing Arm Springs exercises in Pilates challenge your entire body. But, what if you don't have access to a Cadillac or Tower? You can still work out many of the standing arm springs exercises with light weights on the Pilates Mat. And, while you won't have the springs to move with you also don't have the help of the springs to remain connected to your center. So whether you want to practice your Pilates exercises or you don't have access to your arm springs give these a try! Remember, stay weighted through your feet and lift up through your whole center.
Hug your outer hips and inner thighs towards each other and lift tall.
Basically any Cadillac Standing Arm Springs can be practiced with light weights. Think 1-3 lb. And before you do any of the choreography you want to feel like you are rooting through your feet. Which means no falling in or out in your ankles, locking of your knees or overarching, or tucking in your hips. One you feel you are standing strong in your legs, hugging your inner and outer hips together and lifting tall in your chest and crown of your head then feel free to rock out any of your favorite arm springs.
I typically like to do:
- Chest Expansion: Press the arms past your hips without squeezing your shoulder blades together and then stretch your neck.
- Shave and Hug: Feel as if you're working from your back in both.
- Butterfly: Maintain your arms working in alignment with each other.
- Boxing: Remember to box at right in front of you and not to the sides.
- Bat: While you don't need to turn around like you would when working on the Cadillac be sure not to squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Sparklers is not an arm spring exercise but I threw it in here because its a great challenge for your center.
Be sure to check out more of my Pilates Mat exercises. I want to help you continue your Pilates Mat training!
Loving this Pilates exercise tutorial? Take weekly online Pilates mat classes with Lesley Logan.
Enjoying Lesley's teaching style? Willing to travel? Explore the world while maintaining your practice by joining Lesley on a Pilates retreat.